I made my usual trip to buy produce at one of our nearby farms and found piles of heirloom tomatoes, plump, juicy and ripe. Never able to pass on field fresh tomatoes, I purchased more than we could eat. A few days later, a friend gave us a bowl of Brandywine tomatoes. With such an abundance of sweet, juicy tomatoes I needed to get creative.
This was a delicious, satisfying lunch but requires flavorful, vine-ripened, sweet tomatoes.
Tomatoes with Spicy Chickpeas Recipe Ingredients
- 3 pounds assorted Heirloom Tomatoes
- 8 to 10 Romaine Lettuce Leaves
- 1 can Garbanzo Beans, rinsed and drained*
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Bittersweet Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
Wash Romaine, pat dry and place in serving dish. Cut tomatoes into wedges and pile atop the Romaine. Place the garbanzo beans, olive oil, paprika’s, chili flakes and black pepper in a mixing bowl and toss together. Pour Garbanzo mixture over top of tomatoes and serve with feta cheese and flat bread. This was deliciously easy to make and very satisfying to the palate.
* I like al Waadi because they are a smaller variety.